4.11.2009

Organic Baby Bath Products

So when my son TJ was first born, I used all Johnson and Johnson products. They smelled great but I found that they were not very moisturizing to his skin (even the lotion) and I think a lot of this is due to its heavy fragrance. After doing some research, I came across a website called Skin Deep which reviews the safety of cosmetics. It lists the toxicity level in different cosmetic products (adult and baby alike) and I would highly recommend that you do a search for the products you use. You will be surprised (and maybe a little horrified) at the level of toxins in most of the products we use.

Now let look at Webster's definition of toxin and toxic:
tox·in: a poisonous substance that is a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism and is usually very unstable, notably toxic when introduced into the tissues, and typically capable of inducing antibody formation

tox·ic: containing or being poisonous material especially when capable of causing death or serious debilitation
So why the heck do we put these toxins on our body which absorb into our skin and move freely through our blood stream?! What I want to know, is why the products with high levels are allowed to be put on shelves making us believe it is safe for us to use.

Anyway, I found that Johnson and Johnson products, although not extremely high in toxins, definitly have more that some other options out there. My purpose is to expose my son to as few of these toxins as I possibly can because, if anything, it can only benefit him. I trully believe that knowledge is power and we need to take advantage of educating ourselves as parents.

So I decided, after hearing many great reviews, to buy some California Baby products. Let me tell you that I LOVE this product line. They smell great and they are so much more hydrating than what I was using. I love the diaper cream as it has cleared TJs diaper rash so much more quickly then the Desitin I was using. The Calendula cream is also really nice. I bought the sunscreen but have yet to try it (I am excited to use it myself because my skin is so sensitive and I've yet to find a lotion that does not burn). I want to try the handsoap but have not done so yet. Oh yeah, and their bath bubbles are great and even come with a bubble wand so you can blow bubbles (FUN!). As an added bonus, these products are great for us adults with sensitive skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment